Sunday, April 27, 2008

Where did all the romance go?

We were having an Undeclared marathon tonight after a long weekend of packing and moving and unpacking and cleaning. Granted, he just moved two floors down, so it wasn't a difficult move, but it was a well-deserved day of vegging out on the couch watching ten episodes of a tv show I didn't know existed until it came out on DVD. Steven puts together a romantic evening for Lizzie with candles and dancing and a massage... And as we're watching, JP jokingly asks me if the romance is still alive in our relationship. My first instinct is to say, well, he's not really a romantic guy. Then I think better of it and tell him there's still romance... maybe. I could love him. I might love him even now. I already told him I did, but that was partly because I felt pressured to say it and partly because I want to feel it and partly because I might. But I feel like I was drawn into this relationship based on false advertising. When we first started seeing each other, we went out on dates, I got dressed up, he sent me flowers for Valentine's Day... and now, he doesn't even call me on my birthday because I'm in France, and I can't remember the last time he asked me out on a date. I realize that we eat together a lot, but it is never something pre-planned or special anymore. This makes me a little sad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where did my first comment go!?

I said something along the lines of how there's a lot to be said about seemingly taking each others' presence for granted, about not having to get all dressed up and to go on dates that involve planning and dinners and flowers, etc. You may have moved into what I consider to be the more romantic part of the relationship, where you are a consistent and reliable enough part of each others' lives that you can just be without having to "impress" (though I do concede that a certain amount of it is necessary to keep the fires alive). So there may be hope for you just yet. :)